3 ripe roma tomatoes, sliced
3 tbsp olive oil, to drizzle
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 finely chopped garlic clove, finely chopped
40 g butter
4 red onion, thinly sliced
700 g Tastic Risotto Rice
2 cups dry red wine
350 ml chicken stock
1 cup rosa tomatoes
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
80 g parmesan, finely grated
Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
Extra virgin oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Halve 2 slicing tomatoes & place on a baking tray.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil & the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan & gently fry the onions over low heat for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add rice & fry for a further 5 minutes, or until the rice grains are slightly translucent.
- Add the wine (if using) and stir for 1-2 minutes, then add a ladle of stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Chop the remaining tomato and add to the risotto with the Rosa tomatoes.
- Add another ladle of stock, stir until absorbed and repeat the process with the remaining stock.
- This should take 20-30 minutes. The rice should be tender with a slight nutty bite and have a creamy rich texture.
- Remove the risotto from the heat, season to taste and add the parmesan.
- Serve immediately with the roast tomato halves and fresh basil. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.