800 ml water
5 ml salt
300 ml Ace Maize Meal
2 tsp parsley, finely chopped (dried can be used)
1 can KOO Creamstyle Sweetcorn
50 ml margarine / butter or oil
2 onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 to 2 tins Pilchards in Tomato Sauce, broken up and bones removed
1 can KOO Baked Beans in Tomato and Herb Sauce
2 cups blanched spinach
2 tsp basil, chopped
Salt and pepper
200 g cheddar cheese, grated
300 ml All Gold Pasta Sauce (tomato and herb)
1. Pap: Boil the water, add the salt. Add the pap, stir to combine and then cover, lower the heat and leave to cook until done. Should be a wet stiff pap, not dry crumbs. Leave to cool slightly. Stir in the creamstyle sweetcorn.
2. Filling: Preheat oven to 180’C. Grease deep oven dish.
3. Heat the oil or butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions and green pepper until softened. Add in the pilchards and baked beans and fresh basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Assembly: Spoon layers of pap, spinach and filling into oven dish – repeat layers if you can. End with pap on the top. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
5. Bake for approx 40 minutes, until cheese is melted and bake is heated through.
6. Cut bake into portions and serve topped with Napolitana sauce and a side salad.