180 g Golden Cloud Self-raising Flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp golden castor sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
200 ml milk
25 g butter, melted plus extra for frying
Red gel food colouring
100 g cream cheese
4 tbsp maple syrup
100 g chocolate chips
Icing sugar, for dusting
Handful berries (optional)
- Mix all the pancake ingredients (except the food colouring) together in a large bowl, whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Add a small amount of red food colouring and mix again. Add more colouring until the batter is rich reddish brown.
- Put a small knob of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat and cook until melted and foaming.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and use the back of the spoon to shape it into a 8-9 cm round disc. Cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip over and cook for another 1 minute on the other.
- Heat oven to its lowest setting and stack up the cooked pancakes on a baking tray to keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest. In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese and maple syrup then set aside until needed.
- To serve, stack the pancakes with the cream cheese mixture and chocolate chips in between them then finish with a final dollop of the cream cheese, a dusting of icing sugar and a few fresh blueberries if you like.