500 g Golden Cloud Flour
10 g instant dry yeast
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
50 g butter, melted
About 375 ml warm water
Gel food colours (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet)
1 L water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg, beaten
Black sesame seeds
- Bread dough: Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl, then mix well to combine. Stir in the melted butter, then mix in enough warm water to form a soft dough. Knead dough for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl then leave to rise in a warm place - the dough should grow to about double the size. Knock dough back to the original size then shape as desired.
- Divide the bread dough into 7 equal balls then colour each ball with a different colour, kneading well to evenly colour the dough (use gloves to avoid staining your hands).
- Divide each coloured dough ball into 8 equal pieces then roll into long strips (about 20 cm long).
- Take one strip of each colour and place next to each other to form a rainbow.
- Twist the strips together, then fold to meet the two ends and form a bagel, press the dough ends together to secure.
- Cover with greased cling film, then leave to rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the risen bagels into the water, one at a time and cook for 5 seconds on one side, then turn over and cook on the other side.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon, then place onto a greased baking Tray.
- Brush each bagel with egg wash.
- Sprinkle the bagels with sea salt and black sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
- Serve bagels with desired filling.