2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 kg oxtail pieces, as lean as possible
1 small butternut
1 can All Gold Chopped Tomatoes
250 ml red wine
1 L beef or vegetable stock
2 tbsp Golden Cloud Flour
2 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp course ground black pepper
1 sprig parsley, chopped
1 tbsp chives, choppedr
- Put flour, salt, paprika, coriander and pepper into a plastic bag and toss together with oxtail pieces so the meat is evenly coated.
- Heat a generous glug of olive oil in a large flat-bottomed potjie or heavy bottomed pan.
- Add onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until just turning brown. Add the floured oxtail and brown all over.
- Retain seasoned flour left in the bag in case you need to thicken the stew later.
- Once the meat is sealed, add red wine, mixed herbs and half the stock.
- Cover the pot and cook slowly on a very low heat for three hours. Every so often, check to see that there's enough fluid and add stock to prevent it drying out. The meat should be covered but not drowned.
- After three hours, add the veggies and cook for another hour until they're soft and beginning to disintegrate into the gravy. Keep checking to ensure there's enough moisture. When ready, sprinkle chopped chives and parsley over the stew and serve on a bed of rice.