1 cup Ace Maize Meal
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup buttermilk
3/4 c butter, melted
1 can KOO Creamstyle Sweetcorn
1 can KOO Whole Kernel Corn, drained
1 can KOO Chickpeas, drained and roughly crushed
1 cup onions, finely diced
1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped and toasted
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray and cook the oven dish.
- In a bowl, mix the maize meal and baking powder together.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and butter together. Add the cream-style corn, corn, chickpeas, onion and red pepper. Stir into the dry ingredients and fold over until just moistened. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour half the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with ½ the cheese and nuts. Top with remaining batter and smooth out. Top with remaining cheese and nuts.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 45 minutes until firm. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm as a vegetable side to Christmas lunch.