225 g unsalted butter, softened
225 g castor sugar
Finely grated zest 1 lemon
225 g Golden Cloud Self-Raising Flour
For the drizzle topping
Juice 1 1/2 lemons
85g castor sugar
- Heat oven to 180°C. Beat together the butter and 225 g castor sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. Sift in the flour then add the finely lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21 cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and 85 g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
- Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.