140 g unsalted butter
100 g dark muscovado sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
350 g Golden Cloud Flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
2 balls stem ginger from a jar, chopped
50 g icing sugar
A few glace cherries
2 balls stem ginger
- Heat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Mix flour, soda, spices and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Stir in the butter mix and chopped ginger to stiffen the dough just a bit.
- Wait until cool enough to handle then roll out dough to about 5 mm thick. Stamp out gingerbread men, re-rolling and pressing the trimmings back together and rolling again. Lift onto baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes until golden. Cool 10 minutes on the sheets then lift onto cooling racks.
- To decorate, mix icing sugar with a few drops of water until thick and smooth. Halve then slice cherries thinly to make smiles, and cut ginger into small squares.
- Spoon icing into a food bag, snip off the tiniest bit from one corner, then squeeze eyes and buttons, and a tiny smile onto 1 man at a time.
- Stick on a cherry smile and ginger buttons. Repeat; leave to set. Will keep up to 1 week in an airtight tin.