For the cake:
1 large, ripe avocado
300 g light muscovado sugar
350 g Golden Cloud Flour
50 g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
400 ml soya milk
150 ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 160°C. Spray 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with Spray & Cook then line them with baking parchment.
- Put the avocado and the sugar in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Add the rest of the cake ingredients to the bowl with 1/2 tsp fine salt and process again to a velvety, liquid batter.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 25 minutes or until fully risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn the cakes onto a rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, start preparing the frosting. Beat together the avocado and sunflower spread with electric beaters until creamy and smooth. Pass through a sieve and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate, either over a bowl of water or in the microwave then let it cool for a few minutes.
- Sift the cocoa into a large bowl. Bring the soya milk to a simmer, then gradually beat into the cocoa until smooth. Cool for a few minutes.
- Tip in the avocado mix, icing sugar, melted chocolate and vanilla, and keep mixing to make a shiny, thick frosting. Use this to sandwich and top the cake.
- Cover with sprinkles or your own decoration, then leave to set for 10 minutes before slicing. Can be made 2 days ahead.