There’s nothing quite like a pandemic to help you realise the importance of a healthy diet and a balanced lifestyle that involves enough exercise and rest. To encourage healthy eating behaviours the World Health Organisation Europe partnered with Portuguese chef Nuno Queiroz Ribeiro to create easy and nutritious recipes that can be made easily with ingredients found in most kitchens.
- 250 g canned tomatoes or 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot
- Oil, olive or sunflower
- 2 small bunches of coriander (chopped) or 5 g dried coriander leaves
- 200 g canned green peas
- 400 g canned black beans (or any other beans)
- Sweet paprika and dried basil
- 4 eggs (optional)
- Skin and chop the tomatoes.
- Cut the carrot into thin slices.
- Crush the garlic.
- Sauté the tomatoes and garlic with a little oil in a frying pan.
- Add the sliced carrot and 1 bunch of chopped coriander. Cook until soft.
- Add the peas and beans to the frying pan, with 1 cup of water.
- Season with paprika and dried basil. Cook for 8 minutes with a lid.
- Add the eggs (optional) and cook for a further 10–15 minutes.
- Add the remaining chopped coriander.
- Serve with wholegrain/brown rice or a fresh salad.